No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Splashing Toes

My favourite thing about thunderstorms in the city is the feeling of warm pavement under barefeet as the water puddles. The heavy raindrops make maple keys dance in and out from between toes.

The balance of warm pavement and cold rain swept me up today. I giggled audibly as thunder cracked and raindrops soaked my hair, my clothes, making them respectively clingy. I haven't danced in the rain for a year. I used to run outside in my backyard when the rain was at its most intense and I'd lie flat on my back and let it consume me. I danced and twirled and laughed, all alone with the rumblings and the flashing and the wetness all tied up in my body.

I sat on our new porch swing and dripped while watching lightning split through the gray. The smell of warm wet cedar, and the mist of the rain made me feel like home. Swaying in the storm I snuggled up enjoying my temporary relief and return to my body.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very fun play and meditation in the rainstorm yesterday too. I let it soak me and asked the elements for a good cleanse from my mood and negativity and then ran around and spun. I haven't had a good mind altering spin in a long time. It was fabulous. And it made me feel so much happier and better.

I miss you. Call me!

-TJ

9:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home