No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fear and Loathing in Box Vegas

I was with my best friend when she took her first birth control pill. We were fifteen. We sat on the edge of my bed the morning after a sleepover and I held her glass of orange juice while watching in awe as she punctured the thin foil with her long fingernail. She swallowed the tiny yellow pill with more juice than she needed. I looked at her as though waiting for something to change immediately. I asked her how she felt and she laughed a little at my concern, though I think she appreciated it.

Pills are a big deal to me. They are tiny and mysterious and yet so un-faery-like. When I hear "medical advancements" I get scared, I get skeptical, and occaisionally I'm illogical. I've been familiarized with the medical world over the last few years, and I still don't feel better when people talk about medication and how much it's going to help me. I don't like it. I don't like chemicals in my body, but I can't do this anymore.

Who's going to sit with me in awe when I take my first pill?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tederick said...

Elvis?

1:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home