No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Monday, September 05, 2005

I find your coffee cruel and unusual

I went to second cup yesterday feeling particularly angry and ill. It was a birthday coffee for my friend Simon so it was a bad combination. They have a new coffee blend this month called "Rwandan Cup of Hope", which I think is a stupid name for a coffee anyway just because it's pretentious and ignores all sorts of Rwandan turmoil. So I asked the coffee agent if it was a fair trade blend. She in turn asks the manager, and he gets all defensive and says "Well we don't have fair trade coffee, but we do sponsor children... and fair trade isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway". I asked him what he meant by that and his reasoning was that some of the money that goes to the Fair Trade label goes towards advertising. So I had a nice little arguement about the fact that they need to advertise so that more people will buy fair trade and the program will improve. I proceeded to hypocritically buy a latte after I told him that I just thought that "Rwandan Cup of Hope" was a cruel name for a coffee that exploited workers who could be killed by a bite from a viper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home