No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Mini-Camp Drain

Ahh mini-camp, where everything is mini but the timelines. I've currently got ten little girls in my care and they are all pretty excellent. Right now the kids are six to nine years old, so they are surprisingly small and they don't all stay for a full week. About half my original girls left yesterday. One of them had a massive phobia of vomitting, so we had to leave the dinning hall for a number of meals, but she made it through. I've only had two cryers from missing home, and one wake-up to go to the kybo in the middle of the night, so things are going well. It takes a long time for little people to get things done though, and my voice is starting to hurt from yelling accross the table, and yelling to get their attention while they run away. But the girls are good and I'm very happy.

One of my favourite campers arrived yesterday. I counselled him last year and I'm so upset that I can't have him again! He's an eight year old boy with down's syndrome and he makes me so happy! I got to swim with him yesterday and he absolutely loves the water. He just starts to laugh and giggle and I just can't help laughing too. I almost want to cry I love him so much! His counselors are indulging me and letting me hang out with him, so I guess it's like when your friends have babies you get to play with them and then give them back when they're tired and cranky.

I'm sure you're all fascinated by my camper talk, but yeah, kids are interesting! I love the staff up here, and being outside all the time has been great. I feel like I've been gone for a month already because the constant enthusiasm is draining. Tonight I'll finally have a night off, which I will use to shower (for the first time in four days) and then I'll probably just get some sleep. They got highspeed so I'll be able to blog more often more quickly. I hope everyone is taking some time to play today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home