No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Where Jesus Flang Me

Today was a day. If nothing else my schedule this semester is condusive to full days. 8am to 2am kind of days. The day kicked off with a guest lecture in my Women's studies course by one of my favourite feminists Karen Wendling. It was exactly what I needed to start off the day. That class propelled me towards breakfast, and then I sat down to read the textbook for my new Creative Writing course, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. Holy crap I love this book. Never has a textbook made me cry once let alone three times in one day. This women's intense, descriptive, honest, and fairly neurotic style of writing just gets me all fluttery inside. I read a hundred pages today and I wrote down ideas for six different stories/characters. I'm hoping this is good for me. I want to write and I want to get it out, but I'm pretty blocked by the whole paranoia of sucking factor. I should work on that.

Other thrilling events of the day happened over the lunching hour when the box ladies went to our friend Hezzie's house for lunch. As Jess and I were walking back to campus from downtown a guy leaned out of his window and yelled "NICE BOOBS!", though I was pretty sure he yelled "HEY SCOOGE!"... which doesn't make much sense. Still doesn't top the last time Jess and I got yelled at by some guy that one was a "YEAH BITCHES!". Yeah bitches indeed.

The rest of the afternoon was an adventure in bettering myself. Man that's not easy. Now I'm alone in the box. Everyone else is off visiting their wang-toters so I had soup, read some more, and now I'm watching Vanilla Sky on City. That should be uplifting. Ah well. Life is but a dream I suppose.

"It's like discovering that while you thought you needed the tea ceremony for the caffeine, what you really needed was the tea ceremony. The act of writing turns out to be its own reward. " - Anne Lamott

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't go to Toronto to see my wang-toter, I'll have you know. I went to go see my pathological liar, ex-best friend from high school who's a junkie now. Take that. And Nomi doesn't have a wang-toter, so really that comment only applies to Jessica. Keep your facts straight Rebecca.

PS Nice boobs!

-TJ

12:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home