No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Just a wee drap that's all

Yesterday I stood beside my dying grandad and sang him the only song in scotch that I know. I was struck by how hard my heart was pounding, reminding me that I'm still alive as he struggles away. He was only really there for one moment yesterday. My cousin went in with her dad. There were only two visitors at a time, so when he came out I went in. He was small and thin. His skin was dry, his mouth was dry and his tongue was swollen. He couldn't speak. He was just panting and gasping and whimpering. He was entirely in pain. He was just staring at the ceiling trying to stay concious. I came up and stood beside him and asked him how he was doing. He looked me in my eyes and said "mumble mumble hell out" so I said "You're ready to get the hell out of here eh?" and he smiled. That was the only time that he was my grandad all day. I was there from two to nine. The whole experience makes the whole studying thing a lot harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home