No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Women's Day

I am a feminist.
I can discern how much space I am taking up. I know when it is too little.
I know what the word colonial means. My body has been colonized. My history is that of colonizers.
I am aware of my responsability. There will always be something more to fight for.
I know that I will not receive equal pay for work of equal value. Not yet at least.
I feel the pain of women who have been raped and abused. I am afraid. This makes me angry.
I know what the word patriarchy means. I know that shyness is its tool. I struggle to speak.
I question my right refer to women as my sisters. I try to educate myself about experiences that are not my own.
I want to teach. It's time for a world where no woman regards "Feminist" as the F-word.
I know that I have been oppressed. This has influenced my character, but does not define me.
"Feminist" is in my definition.
I am a feminist. I will influence this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home