No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

"It's just you and me buddy"

Being medic is going well. I started off my day incredibly stressfully because I had to do my morning watch (a story and a prayer and whatnot in front of the whole camp) and I had to deal with a line up of kids who were achy and sick. Fun. I also cleaned out some ears. Also fun. They like me because I'm round and squishy and huggable and maternal. Yeah ovaries.

Last night I had a hilarious moment playing Fruit Basket Upset at games with all the kids. In FBU everyone has a partner and sits in a circle, and the person without a partner stands in the middle and yells out something like "Everyone wearing blue", and if you or you or your partner is wearing blue you have to go into the middle and find new partners. Well, last night this kid Calvyn who's nine and the toughest guy in town stands up in the middle and yells "anyone who's Jewish". So me and my little blonde haired blue-eyed partner run into the middle. I take Calvyn's hand while I'm having a mini panic attack and tell him "It's just you and me buddy!". Meanwhile kids are yelling, "this is a mennonite camp" and "what's Jewish?". It took me a long time to catch my breath. Ah that blissful time before puberty when you don't realize that "Mennonite" isn't a synonym for "overnight". I counselled Calvyn two years ago so I knew he was Jewish. He told me after that he thought it would be a good way to find out if there were any other Jewish kids at camp. Turns out, just me. It was a very strange moment. You could hear the other counsellors getting awkward. Ah well. Such is the life of a Menno-Jew. Or a Jewnonite if you will.

I hope everyone is well in the city! I'm loving being out in the woods!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home