No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Are you bitch talking our elephant?"

(The title is a quote from Friendly Rich when a sass cat 11 year old boy walked up to our dragon and said "It's not even scary" and he replied "Are you bitch talking our elephant?")

Yesterday I headed to Brampton with my dad, David, Kate, and a giant dragon named Steven (They named him, not me) for the Festival of Noises which had a medieval theme this year. The dragon turned out amazingly well and we ended up leading the parade. It's funny, with all of my body image and self-esteem things happening I all of a sudden look up and there I am in a mask and faery wings with hundreds of people watching me, and about 700 people following me. Yowza.

So yes, Kate and I were both dressed as faeries, David as a Jester, my dad as a King and we marched to a park in Brampton where an orchestra of musicians and 700 kids made noises. It was amazing. I did a little screaming and singing too which was nice, though I didn't do enough. Eric Nagler was there too, so I met him and chatted, which was kind of exciting. The event is an annual one organized by
Friendly Rich who is an amazing and eccentric composer. Every year he makes cds of the festival of noises for every kid who was involved. It's pretty incredible. If I get fancy I might be able to find a sound clip somewhere. Not right now though.

And David Hannan who was nice enough to hire me to be his artist assistant was the designer of the dragon. As soon as I get my pictures back I'll get someone to scan it so you can all see how cool it was. It was really nice to be back in a space where I could have creative input on the creation of something. I like those spaces.

So today I'm off to Kitchener to see what the Mennos have to say. I'm going to try to be extremely calm and not cry. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home