No human emotion can be sustained indefinitely.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pirate! Pirate! Walk me off the plank!

Last night the entire camp staff dressed as pirates and went to see Dead Man's Chest. It has become a tradition of sorts, because when the first one came out we all invaded the Owen Sound Galaxy cinema dressed as pirates and wielding wooden swords (which were promptly taken away at the door... both times. We were loud and rowdy and piraty and it was so much fun. During the half-hour wait we sang pirate songs, yelled yarr at each other and the audience, took lots of group pictures and (my favourite) did a pirate wave where we yelled "yarr" when we stood up. There were 35 of us and we took up just over two rows. The audience did not know what to make of us, but it's one of those things they won't forget.

The movie was through and through a go-between. But it went-between well. I'm definitely looking forward to the third. I'm hoping it will go back to a bit of the cleverness that was lacking in the writing this time around. The beginning nearly turned me off of the entire film. Why are we still putting out movies portraying natives as heathenistic canabals? And why are actors still agreeing to play those parts? I don't care that it's a period piece, their representation was totally out of date and offensive. Also, why introduce all kinds of new ethnic crew members just to kill them off? What kind of statement are they trying to make?

The best part of the film according to Jess and I is the almost-kiss scene between Elizabeth and Jack. We were both writhing in our seats. We almost jumped each other it was so damn hot. Oh summertime celibacy.

Hopefully the third film will rely less on the repetition of one-liners and will be strong enough to carry itself through. The experience of seeing Dead Man's Chest was excellent and enjoyable, even if it's not the best stand-alone movie. Yarr.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tederick said...

Awwww sounds like fun. I wish I coulda done that. But I took my dad to see Superman and that too was fun. So I guess it's a trade off.

10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home